We work closely with clients to determine their specific HVAC hygiene reporting needs, so every project scope differs. Some of the common things that Air Restore works on during HVAC hygiene audits and inspections includes:
- Visual inspection of HVAC system components – To ensure there is no need for repair. Common damage includes worn bearings, broken belts, rust and corrosion, damaged dampers, leaks to coils and ductwork, damaged insulation and limited access panels.
- Air filter inspections – To determine if installed filters match the classification that is specified in your building operation and maintenance documentation. We’ll also check that a filter maintenance schedule exists and that filters are in good working order working order. I.e. not overloaded, filter frames, seals and housing are not allowing air bypass.
- Dust and general debris cleaning– We’ll clean any HVAC system components have accumulated excess dust and biofilm, and document the process with before and after photos. We’ll also make recommendations for controlling the source of contamination. We pay close attention to areas like outdoor air intakes and exhaust discharges as these are often the source of bio-contaminants such as, pests and moisture.
- Mould inspection and cleaning – These HVAC components are often the source of excess moisture, which is one of the common reasons moulds and fungi contaminate your indoor air. We pay particular attention to coils, pans, sumps, drains and other porous surfaces in your HVAC system.
- Fire and smoke damage inspections – HVAC components can sometimes be damaged by fire, or if components are exhausting air from kitchens or lab environments they can be exposed to lots of heat and smoke. Fire and smoke dampers and all electrical duct mounted heaters should be in good working order, to ensure compliance with AS 1851.
- Odour inspections – Odour issues can be rather difficult to assess objectively, as everyone has different sensitivity to odours. We often find that they are one of the key triggers for building occupants to request a HVAC hygiene audit. We can check you HVAC system for objectionable odours and if cleaning isn’t sufficient to remedy the issue we are happy to offer recommendations for long-term odour reduction strategies.